Long Course Weekend (LCW) is the biggest multi-sport festival (swimming, running, and cycling) in Europe, held in the picturesque Pembrokeshire, Wales from Friday 1st July to Sunday 3rd July 2022. This unique event lasts 3 days and caters for athletes of all abilities, from pro to everyday athletes allowing you to choose to compete in the events individually or take on all three over the weekend, selecting distances that suit you best.
Image credits: Long Course Weekend
The original full LCW starts with a 2.4-mile swim on the Friday on Tenby North Beach. Day two is an early start in Tenby with the top of the pack from the swim kicking of the day with a ramp start. The 112-mile challenging cycling course covers some of the best of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
Finally, the Sunday will once again start in Tenby and take athletes through some of the best of the National Park in a challenging but unbeatable marathon to end the weekend. On finishing the event, there will be a special ceremony to honour the LCW athletes.
Half Distance LCW
The LCW Half Distance encompasses the same three disciplines but covers half the distances. This is ideal for anyone who is a LCW first-timer or wants to train for the Full LCW as it allows you to experience the weekend without covering the full challenging distances.
This is a challenge specifically tailored to junior athletes aged 14-17 years old. Junior LCW still encompasses the three disciplines but over shorter distances with a 1.2-mile swim, 42-mile bike and 10 km run but still the encouragement from the crowds and amazing the overall race-weekend experience.
This event kicks of the LCW and sees kids take part in their very own event. LCW Kinder includes a surf run followed by a run across the beach to the huge crowds at the finish line!
If you’re not keen on one of the disciplines, regardless of your ability, fear not you can instead take part in just the swim, cycle or run. With such a range of distances it really does cater for anyone:
- 1.2-mile swim- starts North side of Goscar Rock, athletes complete one lap of the course
- 2.4-mile swim- starts North side of Goscar Rock, athletes complete two laps of the course
- 42-mile bike- starts at Tenby, athletes complete one lap of the course
- 70-mile bike- starts at Tenby, athletes are to do one lap of the course
- 112-mile bike- starts at Tenby, athletes are to do two laps of the course and one lap through Pembroke and back
- The Wales marathon - fully closed road marathon with a world-famous red-carpet finish
- The Wales half marathon - begins with a procession through the historic streets of Pembroke to the start line then joins the Wales Marathon course to end with the famous red-carpet finish
- The Wales 10km - takes place alongside the Wales Marathon, athletes line up at the start line in Manorbier heading along closed roads back to Tudor Square in Tenby for the famous red-carpet finish
- The Wales 5km - perfect for anyone 11 years old and over, starting in Tudor Square, the out and back route still gives you the famous red carpet finish experience
The range of disciplines and huge range of distances makes the LCW perfect for anyone from pro athletes to everyday athletes. With such a range it allows athletes to progress year after year but is also perfect for first timers.
Runderwear at LCW
We are so excited to tell you that Runderwear will be there at the event to support you every step of the way with Runderwear items on sale – the perfect treat once you’ve crossed that finish line! We’ll be there to meet you and hear all about your race weekend - we can’t wait!
Our exciting news doesn’t stop there, not one, but two of our Runderwear Ambassadors, Matt (@thewelshrunner) and Kelly (@kellogs_ontherun) will be taking part on the Sunday with both running The Wales Half Marathon. We chatted to them both ahead of the weekend:
“Really excited to be taking part in the Long Course Weekend half marathon with Team Runderwear and pushing myself on what will be a tough but beautiful course" - Kelly
"I'll be racing 5K the day before so would use LCW as an opportunity to run a really scenic long run on the Welsh coast and generally have fun, so I'll be entering the half-marathon" - Matt
Image credits: @thewelshrunner
LCW is a huge challenge, no matter what discipline or distance you are competing in. But don’t worry we have hand-picked some of our Runderwear essentials to get you through this weekend.
Our new Womens High Waisted Running Shorts are our race essential for the ladies. The light and tight shorts offer streamlined, seamless running with a high-waisted tucked-in feel and 2 secure pockets - the essential race short. Our ambassador Kelly will be taking this new addition out on a training run ahead of race day to give them a spin.
Meanwhile, we also have a new member of our ultra-light family joining very soon so keep your eyes peeled for these as they are certainly going to be a race day essential and will be getting a test run at the Long Course Weekend with Matt and Kelly!
Image credits: Long Course Weekend
To anyone taking part in LCW feel free to let us know and share your journey (training tips, nutrition, must-have items) using the hashtag #RunderwearLCW.
We wish you all the best of luck and can’t wait to meet you at the event and share you journey with you!